Background

Friday, October 14, 2016

Tot School: Triangle Shape

I think it's safe to say that Fall is officially here in Northern California. It's dreary, cold, and rainy outside. Then again, the weather may be the aftermath of the storm that just hit the Washington area. I don't know about you, but while I love rain, it makes me feel very sluggish. I almost didn't get around to the tot school lesson today.

Our topic today was on triangles. I was very surprised at how little I found while I was researching triangle activities. I believe the triangle to be one of the primary shapes! But, I was able to throw a couple of things together. Take a look!

To get into the theme, Emma had a quesadilla that was cut into little triangles. We sang our shape song, but only read half of the books on shapes (since I was feeling sluggish, I pushed the lesson off to the very last minute, so had to skip a few books to make sure we finished before Phil got home from work).

Afterwards, I brought Emma to the table to work on a triangle collage. I cut different sizes of triangles from different colored construction paper, then drew a big triangle on a white sheet of paper, and had Emma glue the triangles on.


I actually gave her the responsibility to glue, which she loved! She was so excited that she would glue the paper, stick a triangle on it, then glue some more on top of the shape. But, she does so well with the glue stick now. I had no worries about her handling it. The collage turned out super cute too!

When we were out of triangles, we moved on to the next activity. I introduced her to a new craft material - pipe cleaners. I wanted her to try to shape them into triangles. While she was fascinated by them, she had no idea what I wanted her to do, so she kept giving them to me to shape. Then she wanted me to put them on her arms to use as bracelets, ha!


Since it didn't go as planned this time around, I think I'll wait a while before trying the pipe cleaners again - unless I find a craft that would be great for them. We're officially done with our first week of shapes. We'll be doing one more week of shapes that will cover hearts, diamonds, and stars, as well as throw a bit of review in. It should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment