Background

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Tot School: Heart Shape

Today we talked about the heart shape. We went over a heart song found here and read most of our books on shapes. We actually had a featured book of the day too - The Shape of My Heart by Mark Sperring. It was absolutely adorable and talked about how you can find shapes everywhere you look, including the shape you love with. Precious!

I tried to make sure not to make the activity too similar to one you'd do on Valentine's Day (as I want to do a special lesson when that holiday comes around), but I figured Emma might as well wear her one shirt that has hearts on it and at the same time I thought it would be fun to do a special craft for Phil that shows him how much we both love him. I found this cute printable that I thought worked very well for it!

All Emma cared about was the glue stick, as usual, so she wasn't very happy when I took it away and tried to encourage her to actually work on the craft. She's kind of pouting in the picture, but at least she did a bit of it. I'm excited for Phil to see it when he comes home today!





For the shape activity review, I thought since we're talking about the heart shape (and kind of love while we're at it), that we should review shapes with something Emma LOVES. Which is Minnie Mouse all the way. And, you know what? I actually found something that does that! This blog has a post where you match shape hair bows to the shape that's on Minnie's head. (Or you could use them as bow ties for Mickey.) Emma immediately recognized it as Minnie and was SO excited. I explained what I wanted her to do, and she picked it up so quickly! I was so proud. She matched the correct shapes 100% of the time! We did this three times, she was enjoying herself so much. Though she needs to work on how to put on a hair bow, ha!

    
While I try to avoid bringing in electronics during our tot school lessons, I thought it would help Emma learn about shapes a bit more as it's been a more complicated subject. So, I let her watch LeapFrog: Adventures in Shapeville Park on Netflix. She was very attentive the whole time, so I hope she grasps the shapes better from here on out! We only have one more shape to cover tomorrow and then we're moving on to the next topic!

No comments:

Post a Comment