Background

Friday, October 21, 2016

Tot School: Star Shape

Woohoo, today was the last day of our shape lessons. It has been super fun, and Emma has picked up on them so well, but I'm ready to move on! Our last lesson was on the star shape.

We started our lesson by singing Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star (an obvious, but classic choice), followed by reading our shapes books. Our Book of the Day was Touch the Brightest Star by Christie Matheson. It was a cute one!

After our books, we went to the table for our first activity. I printed out this star dot marker sheet (there are others on the website, as well) for Emma to complete, though I couldn't find the yellow dot marker! I'll have to clean out the pantry (it's probably time to do so anyway). But, I improvised and brought out the yellow PlayDoh that we hadn't opened yet. I tried to get Emma to rip it up into little pieces and put the in the circles. Eh, she wasn't feeling it and only put in a 50/50 effort. She just wanted to rip up the PlayDoh.


After we completed the sheet, I brought out big shapes I had cut out earlier and put them on the kitchen floor. I would call out a shape, and Emma would run and grab it. Easy peasy, she knew every shape! So proud. Then I took the shapes from her, laid them out again, and then said to jump on certain shapes. She really enjoyed that! She wouldn't STOP jumping on them, ha!


I'm confident that Emma knows her shapes pretty well at this point, though she hasn't really said any of the words (except oval - random). We'll have to keep working on that. For next week, we'll be talking about body parts! It's going to be divided into three sections: the face, the body, and the innards.We'll see how well this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment