Background

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Tot school: Diamond Shape

Woohoo, we're into our second week of shapes! I know there are SO many shapes one can learn and it was hard to choose which ones to introduce to Emma, but I decided that I wanted to go over the ones that are considered more fun - the diamond, heart, and star.

The nice thing about the books we've been reading (and the shape review activities I have planned for this week) is that they also mention other important shapes, such as the rectangle and oval. So, we have talked about more, just haven't put any emphasis in them.

Anyway, today we talked about the diamond. Since we had a full schedule today (since I didn't get around to the lesson yesterday as originally planned), we had the lesson right after breakfast. Hence why Emma is still in her pajamas!

We sang a special diamond song that is found on the same page as the shapes song we sang last week, then read our shapes books. After that, I had Emma decorate a kite. She was more interested in just gluing everything for me to put on (which I don't blame her for - I cut up everything way too small). But, it was still fun to do.


Instead of doing two activities on a certain shape this week, I'm only doing one on the shape of the day, then doing a shape review activity. For today's review, I got out her shape sorter toys (not sure what the official name is for that) for her to... well, sort.


She has had these toys forever (you can't see the other one, but it's a cute turtle), but always struggled putting the shapes in. But, today she did so well! I asked her where a certain shape was, she would pick it up, and (most of the time) slid it in without any issues. This was also a great time to review the colors too! As usual, the lesson took around a half hour to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment