Background

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Tot School: Patterns

Yesterday we had a tot school lesson on patterns. For our song, I showed Emma this YouTube video that talks about different kinds of patterns we see everywhere.  It was very informative, but kind of annoying, haha. Emma wasn't into it either. Oh well.


After the song, I read her three books on patterns we checked out from the library. I completely spaced taking a picture of them before returning them, whoops, but the titles were: Spotty, Stripy, Swirly: What Are Patterns? by Jane Brocket, I See A Pattern Here by Bruce Goldstone, and Look! Look! Look! by Nancy Elizabeth Wallace. While Usborne Books & More doesn't necessarily have books specifically about patterns, there are a variety of adult coloring books that showcase them!



For our first activity, we just went around the house and talked about the different patterns we could find. Again, Emma was just not into it, so I didn't bother taking pictures and moved on to the next activity quickly.

I got out some skittles, lined them up into patterns (AB, ABC, AAB, etc.) and had Emma try to figure out what came next in the pattern. Unfortunately, I think this was too complicated for her as it went right over her head. I think we'll try to review this when she's a bit older.


Not my favorite week of tot school, but I believe textures and patterns are important to go over. I'm more excited about next week - we're going to be talking about animals! So many possibilities for this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment